Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Letterpress Printing

Bookbinding love doesn't come alone. I find myself interested in the most addictive things such as letterpress printing and papermaking. After having the luck to find some metal types at the flea market a few weeks ago, I now went to visit the typography where they came from. The owner was so kind to make me a printing demo on a Heidelberg press.

I enjoyed very much his workshop. Huge space, full of heavy machinery. But mostly I fell in love with the letterpress wood cabinets and the metal types.






 










  

 


 


It was a great opportunity for me to see how it's made and hear all sort of stories from the pressmen. I went away with a bag full of goodies. Next time I'll share with you what was inside!
  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amazing! I love letterpress printing too and it's great to get the chance to get a glimpse of this workshop.
Love the metal types and the drawers of those big cabinets by the way :)

Louise said...

Yay I managed to comment - not sure why I couldn't before.. these are wonderful photographs! I've had a play on letterpress, back in 2009, it was such fun. I couldn't believe that entire newspapers were printed this way, and men were employed to load the type into the typeholders... now, look at how things are done! Much nicer the olde way. Will you pursue this? :)