Monday, September 6, 2010

Sewing on cord

There are a few aspects in bookbinding that I love most. For example, sewing the book block is one of my favorite parts. It can be done in many different ways but it looks really beautiful no matter the technique. Unfortunately most of the time the sewing is hidden by the spine and remains unknown to those who are using the books. I feel it's time for me to try something new, something different in bookbinding, and I feel it has to be related to the technique itself, which I love so much and would like to expose.
This weekend I made a first attempt to sew on cords. I don't have a proper sewing frame and I worked on one improvised but now that I know how it works, I'll try to build a better one later this week.



4 comments:

Louise said...

Just beautiful work Teo!

Unknown said...

So beautiful. Tell us about the leather?

p said...

i love seeing this, it looks so comforting. wow. i love that you open up my mind about what is possible. keep it up :)

Teo said...

I'm so glad you like it! It encourages me to make others on the same line! Shara, I posted this book in my shop and I spoke a bit about the leather there: http://www.etsy.com/listing/55675805/archaic-book-vintage-leather-journal. It was a recent find at the fair!